Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Geek

When I was in 5th grade, I had a best friend.  She was so much smarter than me, and she got A's in all of her classes.  She even helped me with some of my homework.

When I got to 6th grade, I started to think that she was a geek because other kids would tell me she's a geek.  They said things like, she tries too hard in class, and she always has her homework done. 

I started to be mean to her.  I thought it was the cool thing to do.  Everybody else wanted me to be cool.  I told them about how she spends so much time reading, and how she has her parents teach her to spell huge words like extravagant or stupendous.

Then I made fun of her for getting straight A's, for reading, and for learning how spell.  The biggest thing I did was called her geek every time I saw her.  She really didn't like it.

Now, I look back on how foolish I was.  She always wanted to help me.  I realize that I shouldn't have treated her the way I treated her just because I wanted to be cool.

-Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment